I didn’t discover buckwheat groats until last year, 2017. Buckwheat groats look and taste a lot like steel cut oats, but the softer seeds can be enjoyed raw, like in this recipe. I can’t quite remember where I saw them but when I completed my first raw vegan challenge, I ate buckwheat groats for breakfast or lunch. They are very filled, just like oatmeal. I purchased a 2 pound bag online for $20.00 on amazon. Trust me when I say, it’s a big ol’ bag! I hope you give this recipe a try a enjoy it! The best part? No cooking involved! You just need a food processor.
- ½ cup raw buckwheat groats
- ¼ cup mylk
- 1-2 tbsp coconut nectar (or desired sweetener)
- Diced apples
- Soak the buckwheat groats for at least 30 minutes. Strain.
- Place the buckwheat groats in a food processor along with the mylk and coconut nectar.
- Process until the buckwheat groats are smooth.
- Place in the contents in a bowl and top with desired toppings.