Jackfruit kind of looks like artichoke hearts… and pork. It is even chewy like meat. Although jackfruit is a fruit, the kind sold in cans, in a brine, are not sweet. Since jackfruit is canned in a brine, it makes it the perfect plant-based meat. Pernil is a Puerto Rican slow-roasted marinated pork shoulder. It is especially popular during the holiday months.
Please note that jackfruit does not contain much protein. However served along a balanced meal with food highs in protein such as brown rice, mushroom, beans or broccoli should not deter you from having jackfruit or replacing it with meat on you plate. Remember, a balanced diet is key and you don’t need meat for protein! This jackfruit recipe can be paired with Brown Rice Mushroom, a Kale Salad or Kale Mac and Cheese, which is made with a protein pasta!
- 2 cans jackfruit
- 2 tbsp sazon
- ¼ to ½ cup Sofrito
- 1 cup veggie broth*
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- ¼ tsp adobo
*NOTE: I definitely recommend beefless bouillon cube + 1 Cup water!
- Drain jackfruit and rinse thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the sofrtio, sazon, adobo, tamari, veggie broth and jackfruit. Incorporate well and bring to a boil.
- Now, reduce heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until jackfruit has softened and liquid has pretty much evaporated.
- Remove jackfruit from heat and pulse in a food processor about 5 times OR pull apart with 2 forks.
- Spread jackfruit out evenly on a lined baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring midway. The jackfruit will dehydrate and have a meat-like texture.
Watch the video to see how I make it!