Who doesn’t love a good sandwich?! I certainly LOVE sandwiches. I thought I needed cheese on a sandwich for it to taste to good or be complete but I was sadly mistaken! It’s really all about the sauce! Generally speaking, a good sauce pretty much makes any meal. Amirite? This sandwich is A-1. Definitely a new favorite. Could be because there is sauerkraut in it. Now that I don’t eat hot dogs or sausages any more (& very rarely have the vegan versions) I don’t have much sauerkraut now-a-days, which is a bummer. With this sandwich, however, I get to have it! I used to think that thousand island dressing and sauerkraut was an odd combination but it’s actually super tasty, on top of being unique. I hope you enjoy my version of a Reuben Sandwich as much as I do. It’s seriously so good and packed with flavor!
Servings: 2 sandwiches
- ½ block of tempeh
- 2 tbsp Tamari
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp coconut oil, or spray
TIP: Double the ingredients to make 4 sandwiches instead of just 2!
- Cut the tempeh into 8 planks/sticks. Place in a shallow bowl.
- In the dish, add the tamari, lemon juice, smoked paprika and garlic to the tempeh.
- Toss the tempeh so that it is completely coated. Let it set for at least 15 minutes. Don’t toss the marinade (see step 5).
- In a pan, over medium-low heat, add a bit of coconut oil.
- Now add the tempeh. As it’s cooking, add the marinade right on top!
- Let it cook for 10 minutes. Flip, then allow it to crisp for another 10 minutes, or so.
- 4 slices of rye bread
- 2- 4 tbsp 1000 island dressing
- 1 small handful arugula or other green, optional
- 2- 4 tbsp sauerkraut
- 1 carrot, peels & shredded
- Toast the bread, and spread both sides with the spread.
- Add the arugula then top with 4 tempeh planks.
- Next, add desired amount of sauerkraut and carrot, if using. Enjoy!
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW!