What?! Doritos Mac & Cheese! This was inspired by a night I had a snack attack. I ended up creating a vegan blend that resembled Doritos & add to popcorn (the Doritos Blend below). I figured, since it worked on popcorn, it might work well in a mac and cheese way. And so it did! My Easy Mac and Cheese recipe was also a huge inspiration in creating this.
You’re probably wondering if this taste like actual Doritos. I think it’s pretty close to nacho cheese Doritos! I decided to add the only vegan dorito on the market to the top of the finished product. It is optional but I really like the Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos and the crunch factor! But you try it and let me know what you think! Video below include instructions PLUS a taste test from a 7 year old!
Doritos Blend Ingredients
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp [vegan] butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 cup unsweetened mylk, divided
- 1 veggie cube
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ lemon, juiced, optional
- 1 tsp nutmeg, optional
- 2 cup cashew, soaked*
- 1 pound short pasta**
- 1 cup reserved pasta water***
- 12 Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos , crushed, optional
*Note1: Soak raw cashew overnight or boil for 15 minutes-until fork tender.
**Note2: You can use any pasta you like (macaroni, penne, etc.)! I recommend using a short pasta. On this day, I used Gigli!
***Note3: Save your pasta water! Once the pasta is done cooking, and before you drain, reserve ½ cup of the water you cooked the pasta in. It will be part of step 6!
- Boil the pasta and cook al dente, per package instructions. Make sure they are cooked al dente and reserve 1 cup pasta water (see note2 above). Drain and add back into the pot you used to boil the pasta.
- In a Mason jar, or small bowl, add all of the Doritos Blend Ingredients. Set aside.
- In a small pan, add the garlic and butter over medium heat. Saute for about a minute or 2 then add the flour.
- Next, lower the heat to low and add 1 cup of mylk to the pan. Whisk for a minute then turn off the heat. This is the roux!
- In a blender, add the roux, veggie cube, 2 cups of mylk, Dijon, cashews, lemon juice and nutmeg, if using. Blend until smooth.
- Add the blended cheese sauce to the pot with the pasta. Turn the burner to a simmer and add the reserved pasta water. Mix for about 2 minutes, or until the pasta is hot.
- Serve hot and top with crushed Doritos.
Wacth the video here!