I only started cooking with tofu in 2017. For the first few months, I only made tofu scramble. Later in the year, I started actually cutting tofu, seasoning it and eating it as a side with dinner or adding it to a sandwich. When I initially started my blog, I wanted to recreate my favorite meat dishes. Eventually, I started to explore new flavors and recipes for food I haven’t had before, which was great. I continue to do this. However lately, I’ve tapped more into that recreate recipe flow. Which brings me to this dish!
I have not had Jamaican food in such a long time. I want to go to Jamaican restaurants but I can’t bring myself to do it because it is intimidating. As a Puerto Rican, I know my family can get offended when I don’t eat their food and something tells me that Jamaican culture, a fellow Caribbean Island, might be just as offended when I ask for “no meat”. For now, to avoid that, I decided to recreate this Caribbean Tofu & Coconut Rice recipe! It is love at first bite. Try this to take your taste buds on vacation!
Coconut Rice Ingredients
- 2 cups cooked Jasmine Rice*
- 3-4 tbsp coconut milk
- 1-2 tbsp coconut flakes
- Sea salt, to taste
*Click HERE to get the recipe on plain jasmine rice. Click HERE to watch the video on how to cook jasmine rice.
Coconut Rice Instructions
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients. Serve warm.
Caribbean Spice Blend Ingredients
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 -15 oz block of organic tofu, cubed into 24 pieces*
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Lemon or lime wedges
*Note: Click the video below to see how to cut the tofu!
- Add the spice blend ingredients to a small bowl or Mason jar. Set aside
- Add the cubed tofu in a medium size bowl and sprinkle about half of the seasoning over the tofu. Mix gently with a spoon or your hand.
- In a large pan, over medium-low heat, add the coconut oil.
- Once the pan is coated with coconut oil, add the tofu. Let it cook for 5 minutes, or until golden, then flip. After 5 more minutes, remove from heat.
- Serve with coconut rice and a lime/lemon wedge (Squeeze over the entrée). Enjoy!
Click the image below to see how to make this entire meal!!