Let’s call a spade a spade. Instead of calling this PULLED PORK, I called it Pulled Jackfruit because that’s exactly what it is! Jackfruit kind of looks like artichoke… and pulled pork. It is even chewy like meat. Although jackfruit is a fruit and is sweet when it’s ripe, it is not sweet when it is canned in a brine. When jackfruit is canned and packaged in a brine, it makes it the perfect plant-based meat.
Please note that jackfruit does not contain much protein but there is some! Don’t fret! You can make this jackfruit recipe a balanced meal by serving it along side foods high in protein such as brown rice, mushroom, beans or broccoli. So don’t let the protein content deter you from having jackfruit or replacing it with meat on you plate. This jackfruit recipe can be doused in your favorite BBQ sauce & paired with my Baby Bella Brown Rice, Kale & White Bean Saute or Kale Mac and Cheese, which is made with a protein pasta!
- 2 (20 oz) cans young green jackfruit in water or brine
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp. oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup tamari
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Drain jackfruit and rinse thoroughly.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add jackfruit, spices and veggie broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until jackfruit has softened and liquid has pretty much evaporated.
- Remove jackfruit from heat and pulse in a food processor about 5 times OR pull apart with 2 forks.
- Spread jackfruit out evenly on a lined baking tray then pour in the tamari. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring midway. The jackfruit will dehydrate and have a meat-like texture.