These Brown Rice Breakfast Sausages are going to blow you away! It’s my favorite food to eat now-a-days. I’ve been posting pictures on my Instagram page lately but, at long last, here’s the recipe! I must admit, the idea of Brown Rice Breakfast Sausage seems a bit odd. But think about it. There are quinoa burgers out there, even brown rice burgers. Brown rice is a hearty grain when cooked. They hold up really well in this recipe! Once cooked, these Brown Rice Breakfast Sausages will remind you of actual breakfast sausage. I say the secret is in the sage but you can be the judge! Pair these with pancakes, tofu scramble or any other favorite breakfast/brunch item!
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp ground sage
- ½ tsp thyme (or oregano)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for cooking
- 1 pinch sea salt, optional
- In a small bowl (or cup), stir together the flax and water. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add dry oats and pulse on high six or seven times. Now add the rice and pulse a few more times. Add remaining ingredients including the flax/water mixture (do not add the olive oil & seas salt) and blend till just mixed- Careful not to over process.
- With moist hands, form balls the size of a ping pong ball and then flatten into little patties.
- Add the olive oil to a non-stick frying pan and heat over medium high heat.
- Cook the patties on each side until they are browned. Once done, transfer to a paper towel to blot off any excess oil before serving. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt, optional.