Cheddar Broccoli Soup is one of my favorite soups to enjoy. As I was learning how to cook and the more questions I asked at restaurants, I soon discovered that most cheddar broccoli soups are made with chicken broth! In addition to the chicken broth, heavy cream and loads of cheese is used. So, of course, I had to remake this into a completely plant based version with all of the flavor and creaminess in tact!
Working at a restaurant, I find that people love loaded baked potatoes (baked potato topped with cheese and bacon). So I was inspired to make this Cheddar Broccoli Soup loaded! A little while back I posted a Coconut Bacon recipe! It’s smoky and crunchy just like bacon, minus the cholesterol (etc.). The protein content is low in Coconut Bacon. However, the protein in the broccoli and cashews will do your body good!
Note: If you don’t want to use the coconut bacon, no worries. Let them sit out this time.
Note2: White “cheddar” sauce is heavily adopted from my Kale Mac and Cheese sauce.
- 1 garlic head, roasted
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 a small sweet mild onion
- 2 tbsp [quinoa] flour
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 2 cup mylk*
- 2 cups water+1 Non-Chicken veggie cube**
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp [or more] coconut bacon
**I used hemp milk but use any non-dairy milk you have.
**If you don’t have a non-Chicken veggie cube, use a regular veggie cube, 2 cups veggie broth or plain water.
TIP: Roast the garlic first, lower the oven then bake the coconut bacon (see below).
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit .
- Peel the outer skin from the garlic head, leaving the cloves intact in their casings.
- Slice the top part of the garlic head off, exposing the cloves.
- Put the garlic head onto a square of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the bulb with aluminum foil. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes, or until garlic just starts browning. Once completely cool, squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins.
- Meanwhile, soak cashews in a bowl of very hot water & set aside for about 30 minutes (Note: If you don’t have the time, boil for 10 minutes then drain).
- Steam the Broccoli to desire tenderness and set aside. (Note: I don’t like my broccoli mushy so I steam it for about 15 minutes.)
- In a large pan, over medium heat, sauté the onions for about 10 minutes, until translucent.
- Now, add the flour to the pan and coat the onion.
- Next, lower the heat to a simmer then add the Mylk and 1 cup of water (or veggie broth).
- In a blender add the soaked cashews, roasted garlic, nutmeg, mustard powder, nutritional yeast, remaining water + veggie cube (or remaining veggie broth). Blend until smooth.
- Add the cheese mixture to the pot with the broccoli Cover on low heat for about 5 minutes, adding more water/mylk if needed to thin.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and top with coconut bacon! Serve with a fresh salad.