This is my EASY weekday go-to mac and cheese recipe. It takes about 15 minutes total to make! This can be paired with a yummy kale salad, collard greens, peas, anything really! I have made this mac and cheese for so many people and everyone loves it. Especially children! No kidding, they won’t even know its vegan. Nutritional yeast, or Nooch as some call it, is why this tastes like traditional mac and cheese. There are several brands out there so some smell and taste more “cheesy” than others. My favorite is From The Fields Organic Nutritional Yeast Flakes. I found it on amazon and I absolutely recommend it. Copy and paste that name in amazon to get some! If you have a particular brand of nooch you like, by all means, use that one! Let me know if you try this!
Cashew Cheese Sauce Ingredients
- 2 cups cashews, soaked*
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp coconut butter (or earth balance or other)
- 2 tbsp quinoa flour (or any other flour)
- 2 cups liquid (unsweetened plain non-dairy milk, water, veggie broth)**, plus more as needed
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast, plus more to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste (about 1/4 tsp each)
- 1 tsp ground mustard and nutmeg, optional
- 1 16oz box/package of macaroni (or other short pasta)
*Note1: Soak raw cashew overnight or boil for 15 minutes (until fork tender).
**Note 2: The color will vary depending on the liquid you use. I often use a combine of 2 of 3 listed above.
- Cook the macaroni according to the box instructions, reserving ½ water, and set aside.
- In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and saute for about 2 minutes (Note: Don’t let the garlic brown or burn).
- Now sprinkle in the flour and coat the garlic. Add milk (or a combination of liquid listed above) and whisk well in the pan. Turn off the heat.
- In a blender, add the cashews, salt, nutritional yeast, nutmeg (if using), mustard (if using) and pan ingredients. Blend until smooth (NOTE: If the sauce is too thick [where you have to scoop it out] add a bit of water).
- Add the blended cheese sauce to the pan, along with the lemon juice, over low heat. The sauce will thicken up in about 5 minutes. Stir constantly and taste for salt.
- Now add the pasta and the reserved water. Mix well and serve!
Tip: To reheat: reheat in the microwave or on the stove-top (add a splash of mylk or water if it’s too thick) and whisk well. Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.