Tzatziki is a sauce traditionally served with grilled meats or as a dip. Tzatziki is made of yogurt, cucumbers, garlic, olive oil and herbs. I love tzatziki! It’s cool, it’s fresh and tastes so good on everything it marries with. This no-cook, pass-the-bowl-and-spoon recipe is perfect for, and just in time for, summer! My recipe does not include yogurt, not even vegan yogurt because I do not enjoy the taste of it. Something about the smell and sour taste don’t sit well with me (I’m sure many disagree with me!).
My version of tzatziki is oil-free and I use vegan sour cream. I love sour cream but I am transitioning to a fully plant-based diet. I was really surprised to find that Tofutti sour cream tastes so good! Give it try. I feel like using sour cream gives this recipe a lighter, more airy flavor to it. If you love yogurt, go for it, replace the sour cream with, perhaps, unsweetened coconut yogurt. It’s your kitchen, I’m just the assistant!
- 6 oz [Tofutti] sour cream
- ½ medium English cucumber, diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & minced
- 1 scallion, diced small
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp sea salt & pepper
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and serve immediate.
- Refrigerate in a tightly sealed container (like a glass mason jar) when not in use.
Note: Lasts about 1 week.
How to use tzatziki:
- Add on a sandwich or [veggie] burger, as a spread
- Dip tortilla chips or pita bread
- Dip raw veggies