I really missed collard greens! I don’t know what took me so long to create a vegan version. Traditionally, collards are made with a smokey meat. In this recipe, I replace the meat with mushroom and add smoked paprika for that familiar smoky flavor. Instead of vinegar, I use lemon juice. I really hope you enjoy this recipe. I went live for the first time on Instagram and this was one of the recipes I made! The other recipe was Kale-Mac & Cheese. Collard greens and mac and cheese pair so nicely together. During my live session, I invited over a few friends (some vegetarian, some not) and we enjoyed this meal together. I really hope you enjoy this recipe. And for those who tuned in (and are reading this) I hope you try it and love it!
This recipe was heavily influence by my cousin Lulu! She makes the best greens I’ve ever tasted and I miss them! I hope to make these for her one day to see what she thinks!
- 1 pound collard greens*, washed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-8oz pack baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup water + 1 Non-Chicken veggie cube (vegetable broth)
- 1 tsp sea salt, optional or to taste
*1 pound collard greens = 6 to 7 cups raw & 1 1/2 cups cooked
- Cut the tough stems from the collard leaves. Stack the leaves, roll them up (lengthwise), and slice crosswise into ribbons.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high in a large pan. Add onion and cook until soft (about 3 minutes).
- Add in garlic and mushrooms then cook for 2 minutes. Add the smoked paprika, salt and cook stirring for a minute.
- Stir in collard greens, add lemon juice and veggie broth, cover saucepan & reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.