I went live for the first time on Instagram and this was one of the recipes I made! The other recipe i am made was Vegan Collard Greens. I invited over a few friends (some vegetarian, some not) and we enjoyed this meal together. I made a similar recipe in the past but did not post it and did not measure it. (How many times have you done that?!) This time, I measured it and it worked out great. Although kale is a great source of protein, I did not use much. Therefore I used POW Pasta, which is loaded with protein. This particular one, Green Lentil Pasta, was made only from Lentils! Therefore it was vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free. I really hope you enjoy this recipe. It’s creamy, savory goodness and full nutrition. And for those who tuned in (and are reading this) THANK YOU! I hope you (yes, YOU reading this) try it & enjoy it!
- 1 garlic head, roasted (see step 1)
- 1 8oz. box POW pasta (or any pasta you have)
- 1/2 a small sweet mild onion
- 4 large kale leaves*, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp quinoa flour
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup mylk**
- 2 cups water+1 low-sodium veggie broth cube***
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
*I used curly kale.
**I used hemp milk but use any non-dairy milk you have.
***If you don’t have a veggie cube, use 2 cups of veggie broth.
- Drizzle about 2 teaspoons of olive oil over the exposed head then sprinkle with a pinch of salt & pepper. Wrap the bulb with aluminum foil. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes, or until garlic just starts browning. Once completely cool, squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, soak the cashews in a bowl of very hot water & set aside for about 30 minutes (Note: If you don’t have the time, boil for 10 minutes & drain out the water).
- Cook the pasta al dente, per package instructions- reserve ¼ to 1/2 cup of the cooking water to thin out the sauce. Once ready, drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, over medium heat, sauté the onions & kale for about 10 minutes, until golden.
- Now, add the flour to the pan and coat the kale & onion.
- Next, lower the heat to a simmer then add the Mylk and 1 cup of water (or veggie broth).
- In a blender, add the soaked cashews, nutmeg, mustard powder, roasted garlic, nutritional yeast, remaining water + veggie cube (or remaining veggie broth). Blend until smooth.
- Add the cheese sauce from the blender to the pan. At this point, add the reserve pasta water or more water if needed to thin.
- Add salt and pepper, if necessary or to taste.
- You can certainly add the pasta to the pan with the hot cheesy kale sauce. However please note that it was will be super creamy. I purposely made a lot of cheese sauces because it can dry out (and we don’t want that).
- So, another option would be to add the pasta back to the pot and slowly add in the cheese sauce.
- Vegan Parmesan
- Extra chopped kale
- Cracked black pepper
- Fresh basil
- Red pepper flakes