A fajita is a Mexican dish, traditionally, served grilled meat, peppers and onions & usually served as a taco on a flour or corn tortilla on the side. In this case there are no tacos and no meat, of course. I did use Soy chorizo, sold at Trader Joe’, which is a vegan meat that taste just like chorizo (actual chorizo is a type of smoked pork sausage). At most Mexican restaurants, fajitas come in a vegan version, which consists of sizzling grilled onions, peppers and mushrooms. Mushrooms will be a great addition to this dish for additional protein, if you’re interested. Please note that the soy chorizo is a good source protein. Therefore the mushrooms aren’t absolutely necessary. I made this with the ingredients I had on hand. You should too!
This Fajita Bowl is bursting with flavor and can be made on a lazy dinner night. In 30 minutes or less you’ll be chowing down! I highly recommend enjoying this bowl with a fresh salad (like this or this). If you have avocado on hand, add a few slices on stop. Even a dollop of guacamole will be great to add a fresh element to this spicy dish!
- 2 tsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 red pepper, sliced in thin strips
- 1 small onions, sliced in thin strips
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 5 cups mylk*
- 2 tbsp cilantro, +more for garnish
- 1 soyrizo link, casing removed
- 2 handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional but recommended
*Note: Any non-dairy milk will work with this recipe. Use what you have.
- Cook the pasta, al dente (according to the instructions) and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan add the avocado oil, peppers and onions. Sauté until the onions are caramelized then remove from the peppers and onions from the pan.
- Next, in the same pan, add the butter and garlic. Now sauté, over medium heat, for 1 minute. Add the flour and mix until combined.
- Now add the mylk and whisk together. Lower the heat then add the peppers and onions back into the pan along with the cilantro, nutritional yeast, soyrizo and spinach. Combine well then add the cooked pasta.
- Serve and top with a bit more cilantro on top. Enjoy!