Yes, Chickn! Not chicken. That’s how us non-chicken eaters spell it so that we know there’s no actual chicken in the recipe. I don’t eat much vegan meat but I do have it every now and again to change things up.
For this Lazy Girl Chickn Sandwich recipe, I used Trader Joe’s Chickenless Strips (made up of soy and wheat proteins, pea protein, carrot fiber, and a special blend of seasonings). If you have a favorite brand then use that. Most of my recipes are gluten-free but not this one. Most vegan meats are not gluten-free, which is partly why I don’t eat them. I, fortunately, do not have celiac disease- I just choose to minimize my gluten intake for digestion purposes, in general.
One reason why I call this meal Lazy Girl Chickn Sandwich is that is it not very labor intensive. I chose to use sourdough bread for this, which is gluten but it is the next best choice if not eating gluten-free. Feel free to use any kind of bread you like! This will be a crowd pleaser! Feed your partner, bestie, kids, mom, anyone. It’s so good and full of flavor.
Makes: About 4 sandwiches
- 8oz package chicken-less strips
- 2 tbsp veggie broth
- 1 tbsp tamari (or coconut aminos)
- ½ cup bread crumb
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- In a mixing bowl add the chickn strips, veggie broth and tamari. Toss.
- In a small bowl, add the bread crumb, nutritional yeast, garlic and oregano.
- Coat the strips in the bread crumb mixture- pressing the strips into the bread crumb.
- In a large non-stick pan, coating it with coconut oil- if desired, add the strips over medium heat. After about 10 minutes turn and toss the strips. After 10 minutes, or until golden, remove from heat.
- Divide the strips in 4, or more, portions.
- Toasted bread of you choice
- 2 tbsp [vegan] Ricotta (I used Kite Hill)
- 2 tbsp spicy ketchup (or regular ketchup)
- 1 Scallions, per sandwich
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small handful baby spinach
- Add the spicy ketchup on 1 slice of bread and ricotta, if using, to the other.
- Now, add the spinach and layer the tomatoes on top.
- Add the strips and top with scallions (you don’t even have to cut the scallions- just removed the ends!).
- Close the sandwich, cut in half and enjoy!