Cauliflower rice. The idea is to replace white rice, which has little nutritional value. Cauliflower rice is the perfect option for low-carb or conscious people. Cauliflower contains vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6 protein, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, potassium, and manganese-to name a few. Cauliflower also has half the amount of carbohydrates as white rice and less calories.
Let’s talk about the texture. No, it’s not as fluffy or as soft as rice. But it’s certainly not mushy. The best news is that you can pick the texture of your liking. For example, if you are craving a crunch when you make this, don’t cook it too long. If you want a softer texture, then cook the cauliflower rice a little longer to adjust to your liking!
Most of the recipes I’ve see online cater to Asian style recipes, which I’ve had. In my recipe, I float into a Spanish realm, naturally, since I am Puerto Rican. This recipe is really easy and can be made in about 20 minutes. Buen provecho (Enjoy your meal)!
- 1 16oz bag cauliflower rice*
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ cup veggie broth, divided
- 5 sprigs cilantro, stems ok
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 slice of onion, diced
- 1 tbsp sazon
- 1 can black beans
*NOTE: If you can’t find a bag of cauliflower rice you can easily make cauliflower rice out of a cauliflower head. Here’s how- Trim the cauliflower florets off the cauliflower head, stems removed. In small batches, break up the florets into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles rice.
- Add 3 tablespoons of veggie broth to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, and garlic, until the onions are golden brown at the edges and have softened, (about 8 minutes).
- Add the turmeric, sazon, remaining veggie broth and black beans. Combine then cover, on low heat, for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, uncover and over medium heat, add the cauliflower to combine all ingredients together.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste) and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower has softened (3 to 5 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and enjoy!