Who doesn’t love tacos?! I know I do! I have a cousin who lived in California for a few years and ate so much Mexican food that she doesn’t have much of a taste for it anymore. These tacos are an homage to her. For several reasons- she can enjoy tacos without traditional Mexican spices and she is half Italian, so she might really appreciate these!
Let’s talk about traditional tacos for a second. They usually have ground “meat” with taco seasonings (chili powder, cumin, etc.), Pico de Gallo (with cilantro), shredded lettuce and cojita cheese.
The Components to these Italian Tacos are…
- Soft tortillas
- Breaded Tempeh
- Pico de Gallo
The instructions below break down each component, in detail, and the seasonings required. It’s really easy so don’t be intimidated! Try these on your next “Taco Tuesday” at home! They are full of flavor and are sure to be a hit with your family.
Makes: Approximately 8 tacos.
- Tempeh, cubes
- ¼ cup low sodium veggie broth
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp herb of providence or Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sage, optional
(Scroll to the bottom for instructions on how to cube tempeh)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients and set aside.
- Now work the bread crumb…
- ½ plain bread crumb
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp sea salt, optional
Bread Crumb Instructions
- Add all of the bread crumb ingredients in bowl (like a cereal bowl).
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Now, gently toss the tempeh in the bread crumb.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turn them then bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
While you wait for the tempeh to bake, work on the remaining ingredients…
Italian Pico de Gallo
Italian Pico de Gallo Ingredients
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or use garlic powder)
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 tsp oregano
Italian Pico de Gallo Instructions
- Add all ingredients to a bowl, mix and set in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- 8 Soft tortillas
- [Vegan] Ricotta (I used Kite Hill Ricotta)
- Sprouts (I used broccoli sprouts)
- Walnut Pesto, or your favorite pesto!
- Heat the tortillas.
- Now add 3-4 tempeh cubes to the taco.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of pesto and ricotta.
- Top with about 2 heaping tablespoons of Pico de Gallo and desired amount of sprouts.
How to Cube Tempeh:
- Place the Tempeh plank horizontally on a cutting board.
- Now, cut in half (2 pieces in front of you.
- Cut each half in half (4 pieces in front of you).
- Next, cut each half in half again (8 pieces in front of you).
- Now slice the tempeh down the middle lengthwise (16 pieces) or make 2 cuts lengthwise – 1 on the top half and 1 on the bottom half (32 pieces).