Eggplant! There are no eggs in this recipe at all! Not even tofu (which is commonly used to make vegan eggs). E.G.G.S stands for Eggplant Garlic Ginger Spinach. So the star of this show is the Eggplant! Everyone loves eggplant! Right?! The first time I had eggplant was Eggplant Parmesan many year ago. It wasn’t until I became a vegetarian that I appreciated eggplant as a vegetable. Seriously didn’t know what I was missing!
- 1 Eggplant, halved
- 2 tsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp chopped pepper (red, green or yellow)
- 2/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (or grated Parmesan)
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 small handful spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 slices vegetarian/vegan cheese, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Scoop out the flesh of the eggplant, chop, and reserve. Season shells with salt and olive oil.
2. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place the eggplant, flesh side down.
3. Bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium pan, add the oil, and garlic. Leave until golden.
4. Now add the ginger and pepper.
5. Now the eggplant chunk. Sauté for about 2 minutes then add the quinoa, nutritional yeast and tamari.
6. Turn off the heat and add the parsley and spinach. Combine well, set aside.
7. Once the 25 minutes is up, remove the eggplant from the oven, stuff with the filling, and place in the oven for 5 more minutes.
8. At this point, YOU’RE DONE! Unless you’re using [vegan] cheese. If you are- turn on the broiler, top with cheese. Remove after 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!