I’m fond of the use-what-you-have concept. How many times a week do you say “I have nothing to eat!” But when you look you have this and that but these. On this particular day, I was craving pizza and low on groceries. I had no fresh tomatoes, no tomato sauce/paste, no pizza dough/flour, no fresh basil and no fresh mozzarella! I did have vegan mozzarella, that I was apprehensive about trying-turns out its not half bad.
Sitting on my couch, hungry I said, “I have nothing to eat!” I got up, scoured my refrigerator and pantry and found these ingredients! I could have turned the oven or broiler on but I wanted something fast because I was hungry and it was lunch time. Try this next time you have a pizza craving! Note: If I am being totally honest, I constantly crave pizza. I just don’t have it all of the time and I try to create healthy versions of it. Like this one! Buon Appetito!!
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 1 Pita bread
- ¼ cup Daiya Mozzarella Cheese + 1 tbsp
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion ring slice, divided
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced vertically (long-ways)
- 2 tsp morajam or oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
Note: I used oil-free sun-dried tomatoes but the ones marinated in olive oil will also work.
- In a small pan, over medium heat, add the olive oil and pita bread.
- Toast the pita for 3-5 minutes, or until golden, then flip and lower the fire.
- On top of the pita, sprinkle the cheese, garlic, onions, sundried tomatoes, morajam, basil then the remaining cheese in that order.
- Cover, still on lower, for about 10 minutes.
- Once the cheese is nice and melty, remove the cover then turn the fire to medium- to crispy the bottom. After about 2-3 minutes, remove, cut & serve!