I’m big on mixing ingredients that may, or may not, marry well. I’ve had a few fails (of course!) but most times, it works out and I get so excited. Makes me feel like a food genius- of sorts. Let’s talk about the sauce: There are a few recipes out there for veggie based creamy, vegan cheeses. Well, here’s another! It’s actually easier than you think to make. When the potatoes are blended, they will become creamy and the cashews make this cause even creamier. The nutritional yeast provides this dish will the cheesy element a traditional Alfredo sauce has.
The next part, for the pasta ingredients, green beans and capers, were just sitting in my refrigerator after a recent trip to Trader Joe’s. I wasn’t sure about how the green beans and capers would taste together but the unlikely pair worked! The basil adds another layer of flavor and, I think, gives this more of a traditional Italian flavor.I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
- 1 large + 1 medium red potato, peeled & chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 sm onion, peeled & Chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ c raw cashews, soaked or boiled (see notes below)
- ½ c almond milk, or more as needed
- ½ tsp sea salt, optional or to taste
Note: Soak cashews overnight or boil for about 15 minutes until soft.
Reminder: Capers are salty on their own so don’t go crazy with the sea salt.
- Boil the potato until soft. Meanwhile, on low heat, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 10 minutes. If boil the cashews, do this now too.
- Combine all of the above ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- 16 oz (1 package) GF Long pasta (fettuccine, spaghetti, etc.)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ pound of fresh green beans, trimmed & halved
- ½ cup of capers, drained
- 10 fresh basil leaves (or more), recommended
- Vegan Parmesan, optional
- Fresh cracked pepper, optional
- Boil the pasta per the box instructions.
- In a large sauce pan, add the olive oil and garlic on medium heat. After about 5 minutes, add the green beans. Cover and lower the heat (not to a simmer) for about 15 minutes, or until desired crisp of the green beans.
- Now add the sauce and capers. Combine then add the pasta.