“Anything you can do, I can do better”. Questions I get asked oh so frequently because I am a vegetarian- “Don’t you miss steak?” and/or “Don’t you miss meat?” The answer is no! I do not miss meat. There are so many other options to choose from and when I am done eating I don’t feel remorse or regret- like tempeh! Tempeh is a meat substitute, for some. Or just a great add-ons for dinner! A more popular steak “replacer/substitute” is a Portobello Mushroom. So for those who don’t like mushrooms, try this!
If you’ve never used tempeh before, it is easy to find and make! You can e-mail me or comment below with questions. But you can find tempeh anywhere (not just Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods). At typical groceries stores, tempeh can be found in the produce section. That easy! As a small note, everyone should, seriously, have smoked paprika, which is an ingredient listed below).
- Tempeh, cut into 4*
- ½ – 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp Tamari
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tbsp EVOO + 2 tbsp water, for cooking
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 pinch salt
Tip: Scroll to the bottom of this post on how to cut the Tempeh.
- After you cut the tempeh, marinade in the tamari, water, sage and smoked paprika for at least 20 minutes.
- On medium heat in a non-stick pan, add the olive oil to the pan then add the tempeh and the marinade to the pan.
- Cover for 15 minutes, allowing the tempeh to steam. Now, uncover and cook the tempeh steaks until golden brown on one side, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Flip and cook the other side, another 3 to 4 minutes. Add water, if necessary. Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside.
- In the same pan, add olive oil and onions. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 15- 20 min, until golden adding water when necessary (to keep them from sticking).
Note for cutting the tempeh:
- Place the Tempeh plank horizontally on a cutting board. Now, cut in half (2 pieces in front of you).
- Now slice the tempeh halves in half down the middle lengthwise (4 pieces).
TO WATCH THE VIDEO, CLICK BELOW!