I love macaroni and cheese! I don’t eat it as often as I like because 1-the carbs 2-the cheese. One day, I was craving it and decided to experiment with this recipe here. Recently, I posted a recipe for a cheese sauce, which is featured in this recipe! I just added pasta and broccoli for a nice flair!
Serving size: This a a smaller portion but feel free to double the ingredients for 4+ people!
- ½ box of [gluten-free] elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 1 cup of reserved pasta water
- ½ small broccoli crown, chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced, optional
- 1 servings of Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup bread crumb
Note: You can use frozen broccoli for this recipe as well. Use 2-3 cups of broccoli florets.
- First make the cheese sauce as the pasta prepares to cook then (separately) set aside.
- In a medium pan add 1 cup of the reserved pasta water to the pan. Now, over medium-low heat, add the minced garlic (if using) and the broccoli. Cover until tender.
- Uncover then transfer the broccoli to the pasta pot used. Over low heat, add the other cup of the reserved pasta water, add the al dente pasta a then and cheese sauce. Combine. You can stop here or move on to step 4…
- For a little crunch, add the Broccoli&Cheese-Mac&Cheese to an oven safe bowl, top with bread crumbs and broil on low for 5 minutes.
- You also add some vegan cheese shreds before you broil it- I used Pepper jack shreds by Daiya (below).
****Photos taken by my talented, photographer cousin Monique Direnzo.*****