Pizza on Toast?! Yes! …So I was really low on groceries at home because I was going on vacation in a few days and didn’t want to buy groceries- didn’t want to come home to rotting veggies and such in my refrigerator! I used what was in my pantry and fridge to come up with this lunch idea. Use what you have! You will surprise yourself with how creative you get! The ingredients I listed below are what I had and believe me, they were just pieces of what was in the back of my refrigerator. Enjoy the photo step-by-step instructions below. Have fun with it!
Fast & Easy Pizza Sauce
I usually use fresh tomatoes and basil when I make marinara sauce (see alternative sauce recipe here) but this sauce below was just as good!
- A bit of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 small onion (1/3 topping-see below)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- ½ 6oz can of tomato paste
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ packets of stevia
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
Tip 1: If you don’t have onions or garlic use granulated.
Tip 2: If you have tomato paste and no tomato sauce, that’s okay! Use tomato paste & add water (table spoons at a time) to thin it!
Toppings & Bread
- 4 slices Gluten-free bread
- 1 sun dried tomato
- 1 small piece red pepper
- 1 broccoli floret
- Remaining onion
- 1 sprinkle old bay
- 1 sprinkle of black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes,optional
- 1-2 garlic clove minced, optional
- Any kind of cheese, vegan or vegetarian, optional
Tip: If you don’t have those veggies, use the veggies you have! I literally had pieces of those left.
- In a small pot add the oil and onions. Sauté over medium heat until translucent (add a tablespoon of water to speed the progress). Next add the garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Now, lower the heat and add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, stevia and nutritional yeast. Stir together and cover on simmer. This process should take about 5 minutes or so.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and work on assembly (immediately below).
- Lightly toast the gluten-free bread (usually it is frozen). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.2. Now lay on the tomato sauce.
3. Add the sun-dried tomato, red pepper, onion, garlic, broccoli and walnuts.
4. Now sprinkle on the black pepper and old bay seasoning.
5. Now top with broccoli.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove and top with red pepper flakes, if desired. Enjoy!
- If you decide to use cheese, remove the pizzas from the oven after 5 minutes, top with cheese then place it back in the oven for another 5 minutes.