No slow cooker required! Just an oven. A great way to warm up your home in this bitter cold winter (if you are in the colder part of the country like me)! I call these Stuffed Red Pepper Boats because they are red and cut lengthwise. Cutting them lengthwise makes them look like boats! Of course, if you have green or yellow or orange peppers in the fridge use those! Each pepper has a unique color and taste. We all have a favorite, I’m sure. I usually buy red peppers because they has the most nutritional benefits. I do switch the colors up to entice my taste buds. Hope you enjoy this simple recipe for dinner soon!
- 2 red peppers, sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (Instead of water I used veggie broth)
- 1 ½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp vegetable broth
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, optional
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup frozen mixed veggies
- 1 tsp granulated onion powder
- 1 tsp McCormick Vegetable Seasoning
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup kale, finely chopped
- ½ small broccoli crown, chopped
NOTE: My mixed frozen vegetable bag include corn, peas, carrots, lima beans and string beans. You can use any mixed vegetable bag you find at the grocery store or use a combo of fresh vegetables. Frozen vegetables just saves time!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook ¾ cup of quinoa in1 ½ cup of veggie broth for about 15 minutes. Once complete add the nutritional yeast.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan over medium heat, add the veggie broth, oil and garlic cloves. Sauté for 1 minute then add the frozen veggies and onion powder, Vegetable Seasoning and oregano. Sauté for 2 minutes. Next add the kale and broccoli florets. Let this simmer, covered, for 3-5 minutes- until the kale is slightly wilted.
- Next, remove from heat and mix the quinoa and the vegetables in a bowl.
- Stuff the red pepper with the vegetable quinoa mixture then place in the oven for 40 minutes.
Serving suggestions #1
Sprinkle feta cheese on top once the peppers are done. Enjoy with a big salad (Pictured below).
Serving suggestions #2
Sprinkle fresh or vegan mozzarella cheese on top 5 minutes before removing the peppers from the oven to allow cheese to melt. Enjoy with a big salad (Pictured below).