Makes 6-8 patties
- 8 oz pack tempeh
- 1tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 5 white mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons diced red pepper
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped (or dried)
- 1 tbsp sage
- 2 tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp mustard
- Steam or boil the tempeh for about 10 minutes- until softened (fork tender). Let cool then crumble, with hands, in a bowl.
- In a medium pan add ½ of the coconut oil (2tsps)
- and onions on medium heat. When the onions are translucent add the garlic, mushrooms and red pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the content in the pan to the bowl with the tempeh.
- Add the sage, oregano, cumin, paprika, pepper, tamari, mustard and nutritional yeast, if desired. Mix well then form into patties.
- Add the remaining oil the pan and on medium heat cook the patties for about 10 minutes.
- Flip and cook for an additional 8 minutes or until brown enough to your liking.