Eggplant is one of my new favorite recipes. One day, while at a local produce store, I was looking for eggplant and came across baby eggplant! I was so excited that I grabbed 2 bags. I got home and immediately created this recipe. A large eggplant can be used in place of the baby eggplant, just cute it into large chunks (with the skin).
This recipe has a unique blend of spices that gives this a sweet and savory flavor (but more on the savory side). It pairs so well with the honeyed walnuts! I ate the baby eggplant with my Basil-Baby Bella Brown Rice recipe and a salad. I hope you enjoy!
Roasted Baby Eggplant
Roasted Baby Eggplant Ingredients
- 8 Baby Eggplants, halved (lengthwise)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced in 3-pieces
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 1 lemon
- ¾ tsp gram masala
- ¼ salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Roasted Baby Eggplant Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 450 degree Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, slice the half. Slice one of the halves into rounds then moons. Reserve the other lemon half until step 3.
- In a glass dish (about 2-inches high) place the eggplant, garlic, onions and lemon slices.
- Squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon over the veggies in the dish. Now sprinkle the gram masala, salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss and cover with aluminum.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Uncover bake for 5 more minutes.
Honeyed Walnuts Ingredients
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ walnuts
- ¼ tsp sage
- 1 pinch salt
Honeyed Walnuts Instructions
- Combine all ingredients in a small pan. Caramelize and turn off flame. Cooks in about 5-10 minutes.
Serve with plain brown rice or try my Basil-Baby Bella Brown Rice recipe (picture below)!