Eggplant is one of the most popular vegetarian/vegan go-to foods because they are a hardy, filling vegetable. I love coming up with new ways to make eggplant. This recipe was inspired by a meat recipe I saw on television. I remember thinking to myself, “I can swap the beef for eggplant.” I think there was a 3 bean salsa on top of the beef. I think 3 beans might have been too must with this particular dish, so I chose one. And instead of Mexican, I went in an Italian-ish direction. This is a layered dish with eggplant, hummus and warm bean salad. It’s amazing as a side dish with a huge green salad or an appetizer!
Eggplant Breading Ingredients
- 3 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup flour (I used oat flour)
- ¾ cup Italian bread crumb
Eggplant Toppers Ingredients
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced ½ inch thick
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery slick, diced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 3 baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ½ dried oregano
- ½ vegetable bullion
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 cup of corn, frozen or can
- 1 can red beans, rinsed
Any hummus flavor, desired amount (see step 3 under eggplant toppers Instructions)
Note: I used roasted red pepper hummus.
Baking Eggplant Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip the eggplant slice into the egg then the flour then back into the egg then the bread crumb. Place on the baking sheet and repeat.
- Bake the eggplant for 15 minutes, flip, then bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Eggplant Toppers Instructions
- In a medium pan add the coconut oil, garlic, celery, onions and mushrooms. Sauté for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Next, add the parsley, basil, oregano, bullion, water, corn and beans. Lower the heat and cover for at least 15 minutes.
- When the eggplant is done, spread desired about of hummus on top- the hummus will act as “glue” between the eggplant and the bean mixture.
- Next, top with a scoop of bean mixture. Enjoy!