I only had beets once in my life- that I can remember- before I became a vegetarian. From what I recall, I didn’t like them! As I continued to do more and more research about what foods to eat, beets seemed to keep popping up. Beets are known to have Potassium, magnesium, fiber, iron, vitamins A, B & C in addition to the ability to cleanse the body. I figured, it’s been years, let me give these another try. I’m so glad I did because now, I think they are super tasty.
The first time I had beets I believe they were sliced and packaged in a can. This time, I went to Trader Joe’s and found them in a vacuum sealed pack, steamed and peeled. They are really good, messy but good! Especially in this salad!
Serving: Makes about 2 salads.
- 2 beets, pre-cooked (I got mine from Trader Joe’s)
- ½ cup feta cheese
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced then halved
- ¼ cup pecan halves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 big handful of greens (used spinach)
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl, except the green. Mix together.
- Now add the greens. Toss and serve.