In honor of my Big Sister’s Birthday, I am posting the recipe for my Fluffy Buckwheat Peanut Butter Swirl Pancakes! My sister lives in a different state so I can’t make these for her on her birthday today. I promise I will one day! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JAS!! It’s not birthday cake but pretty close, if you ask me! Love ya! P.S I owe you pancakes!!!
Peanut Butter Swirl Sauce
I always keep organic/natural peanut butter and almond butter around. I prefer almond butter but the day I made these, I ran out! So I used peanut butter instead. Maple syrup is an optional ingredient in this since peanut butter is ready sweet. It’s your call!
Peanut Butter Swirl Sauce Ingredients
- 1 ¼ tbsp organic peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tsp maple syrup, optional
Peanut Butter Swirl Sauce Instructions
- Add of the ingredients to a small bowl, mix and set aside.
This past weekend I woke up craving pancakes. It was about noon (love sleeping in!) and I just had this dramatic craving. Normally, I have my green smoothie but I figured, eh why not?! It’s Sunday and, well, I want pancakes! I am extremely proud of these because my first attempt to pancakes was not successful. They were flat and dry. Not appetizing. Took me a while to get back to “the lab” because I am not big on sweets. But now, fear not, they are moist and fluffy!
Contrary to word “wheat” being part of the word “Buckwheat”, buckwheat does not contain wheat. In fact, buckwheat is gluten-free! In addition to being gluten-free, these pancakes are packed with protein and a sweetness that will make you wonder if they are healthy. Fear not- they are healthy! And tasty! And amazing! You won’t even miss the bacon or sausage or eggs. Speaking of eggs, these are also egg-free! Now, if you want those things on the side, have it. I had 3 of these fluffy babies and boy-oh-boy was I full. I accompanied these with a cup of bitter coffee. Pure bliss!
Buckwheat Pancake Ingredients
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour/scratch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 packets NuNaturals Stevia
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 1 ¼ cup of almond milk (or 1/2 water, 1/2 milk)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Coconut oil
- In a mixing bowl add the flours, baking powder, stevia and ginger. Mix together.
- In a small bowl add the vanilla, almond milk and flax seeds. Mix these ingredients with the dry. Now add the maple syrup.
3. In a medium pan, over medium-low heat, add a bit of coconut oil. Add desired amount of pancake batter (depending how big you want your pancakes) to the pan.
4. After about 4 minutes, flip. Allow pancakes to brown on the other side and remove.
Optional ingredients– Sliced almonds, cinnamon, additional maple syrup, coconut flakes & banana slices.
- Pour the Peanut butter sauce, desired amount.
2. Now add the almonds.
3. Time to sprinkle the cinnamon…
4. Lastly, flake over the coconut and bananas. Drizzle a bit of maple syrup, too, if desired. Voila! Enjoy!!