These have become one of my favs! Tacos are a great, fast, go-to recipe that can be made at home. I made mine in a romaine leaf but you could certainly use this in a small corn tortilla then top it with pico de gallo (recipe below) and shredded romaine lettuce! If you hadn’t had a “taco” like this before, try it! This is great lunch or dinner idea. I hope you like it!
Basic Pico de Gallo Ingredients & Instructions
Pico de Gallo is simply a raw (uncooked) salsa use in Mexican cuisine. Literally translated, pico de gallo means rooster beak! Not to worry, no roosters were harmed or used during the making of this salsa fresca!
- 1 big tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp red onion, minced/chopped
- 1 small handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside (or in the refrigerator).
Green “taco” Ingredients
- Romaine leaves
- ½ cup green lentils, cooked
- ¼ cup red lentils, cooked
- ¼ tsp coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ cup of water, divided (to deglaze)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 tbsp (or more) pico de gallo per taco (recipe above)
Note: If you don’t have red lentils you use all green lentils. I would not recommend using all red lentils.
Green “taco” Instructions
- In a small pot add the oil, garlic and onion. Sauté on medium heat until golden. Deglaze the pan with a bit of water until it dries up.
- Deglaze the pan again with water then add the salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, paprika.
3. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
4. Now add the remaining water, tomato sauce, lentils and cayenne pepper. Mix together for 2 minutes then turn off heat.
- Take a romaine leaf and spread the lentil mixture on one side.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons (or more) of pico de gallo on top.
- Add vegetarian (or vegan) pepper jack cheese shreds.